Wednesday, October 10, 2012

BMI...bullshit meter idiots

So I have already stated I am starting a weight loss journey once again....fun stuff but got to do it.  I am an Army Wife I have a standard to uphold...bullshit.  I want to be able to chase after my daughter without getting winded but I digress.  The topic of today's discussion is the BMI calculator.  Doctors call it the Body Mass Index....I prefer bullshit meter idiot.  This is simply a chart that they look at weight and height and the paper tells them how much you should weigh.  Now wait a minute here is my thought does this piece of paper take into account the bone structure, the muscle mass, and the overall look of  person...not quite.  That piece of paper can't see all that and doctors put too much stock into that piece of paper.  I have actual proof of it...not once but twice I have been told by doctors they can not help me, my BMI is too high.  The first time was while pregnant the hospital I had been receiving care at for over half of my pregnancy at 7 and 1/2 months told me I would have to go to a hospital 45 minutes away.....over a bridge and through the woods literally. I have my daughter bring her home resume regular care at the clinic 5 minutes away and  it was discovered I have precancerous cells that need to come out.  Great schedule pre-op, surgery set, I am going to get this taken care of and low and behold my BMI is too high again, back to grandma's house we go.  Both situations little important and their choice is to send me on a scavenger hunt for care.  Based on a piece of paper.  Yes I know I need to lose weight...I am a fat ass.  Have been since I was 17....but to be black balled for medical care wow.  Here is the complete kicker neither doctor has offered any weight loss advice or referred me to a nutritionist.  They can't get me out of the office fast enough.

So what do we do about the BMI?  I read mine at the goal weight I am trying to hit...195.  I will still be overweight.  I know someone who is a size six and according to the paper, she is overweight.  So I have to go anorexic for this piece of paper to tell me I am normal weight.  NOT happening. I am losing weight to be healthy not trade one problem for another.  My suggestion is this.....lose what weight you want but when your cheek bones are protruding, people are sending your picture in for the feed the children ads, and stick of gum is what you consider lunch...stop.  You have now lost too much weight.

So the moral of all of this is simply do not pay complete attention to the BMI scale pay attention to how your body looks and how you feel.  And if a doctor starts complaining about the BMI...ask him his suggestions on what to do and how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Endings Suck, ummm Maybe?

 End is defined as the final part of something, and also has a verb definition of bring to a final point, finish something...finished is def...